Steering Column Ground

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Column Ground
From: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:14:43 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I ran into an interesting problem on Saturday. I installed the steering
wheel and horn button and the horn would not work. I had tested the
connection between the button push and the wire from the wheel spacer and it
was fine. I had not tested the ground between the steering column and the
car. When I put a Ohm meter between the column and the car I got just the
faintest of readings. Not enough to give the horn a ground though. Same
reading between the cinch bolt on the column and the car.

I rebuilt the column, new bush at top and bottom, painted the outer tube,
and painted the center rod itself. I guess I did too good of a job.  For all
practical purposes, I've isolated the column from the car. Now I have to
figure out how to get enough contact back so the horn will work.

Strange little world we live in...

Larry Miller "I started out with nothing...I still have most of it"
60 Bugeye
59 Bugeye
78 911 SC (Faster than a Bugeye but not as much fun)
Home Page http://www.ado13.com