Re: Having the car painted

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Subject: Re: Having the car painted
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 18:53:59 -0800
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"J. Adrian Barnes" wrote:

> Here's another question:  I was thinking about putting the engine back
> in (but the car still wouldn't run) and sending it to the paint shop so
> I wouldn't get the car scratched up putting the engine in later.  Do any
> of you have opinions about that?  Should I just go ahead and send the
> car off to be painted engine-less, therefore making the job easier on
> the paint crew, or should I wait until I get the engine back in (the
> engine bay has already been painted)?  Anybody have bad experiences
> scratching paint?  The reason I ask is because the paint guy isn't busy
> right now and can get it done quicker than he could later this spring...

Murphys Law says if it is old and scratched, you will not scratch it
replacing the engine. However, if it is a fresh paint job the engine
will slip and fall on a fender!
I always paint the cars bare bones. No wires, mechanicals, or brake
lines.
Then put everything back on. I can count on the slip of a screwdriver or
wrench to scratch or chip the new paint. It happens. But when putting in
an engine, a heavy furniture movers blanket or old quilt properly placed
will avoid any mishaps.
Painting the car with the engine in place will make for overspray on the
engine (if this has been repainted already)
Paint it now and be carful later.

Just my advice

--
Frank Clarici