Re: prep wire wheels for painting

To: brucewoodward@kconline.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: prep wire wheels for painting
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:10:37 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
brucewoodward@kconline.com writes:

<< nice wheels on a worn car detracts attention away from the body's
 deficiencies,

 therefore, as I am replacing tires on my Midget, I'm looking for a reasonble
 or best method for removing grease & paint.

 Am I correct in assuming that first you acid wash to remove grease & grime,

 and then "bead shot" the wheels to remove rust and paint?

 bruce@woodward-realty.com >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just had the Rostyle wheels from my Midget cleaned.  I took them off, had
the tires and stems removed, them I put them in the driveway and washed them
with a hose, a wheel brush and Simple Green.  That got them clean enough.

Then I dropped them of at a sandblaster shop.  He blasted the wheels and
primed them for me in a day.  Cost was $15.00 per wheel, $75 for the 5 wheels.
Well worth it.  Now I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.  I need to
lightly sand the primer and then paint.  I picked up the silver wheel paint
from Eastwood Co. (http://www.eastwoodco.com), and then I will probably brush
the black part with Rustoleum.

You didn't say if they are wires or not.  If wires, make sure they are trued
and the wires tight before you blast them.

Also, make sure you prime the wheels as soon as they are blasted.  They will
flash rust if you don't.  Good luck.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (DSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)