Re: leaning front wheel

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: leaning front wheel
From: Jeff Sharpe <jsharpe@501studios.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:17:05 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Evangelos,

I had the same problem with my '79 Midget and spent months searching for
answers.  I tried different front springs, even mis-matched ones to lift the
bad side, but it always had the excessive negative camber.  The dead
give-away was when I rested the front end on jack stands and let the front
wheels hang free.  The wheel with the negative camber problem (in my case
the left side) did not hang down as far as the right side (about an inch
less).

I bought the car from the original owner and she admitted to a 'small'
accident.  My best guess is that she struck something directly on that
wheel, pushing the shock arm in and up, bending the frame.  Just recently I
took it to a frame shop and had things twisted back to shape, but it is
still not perfect.  I was told that an impact in a uni-body type vehicle
travels all over the frame, and he had only marginal success straightening
things out.  It was expensive and not entirely satisfactory, but the front
end is now level and the left and right camber match.  I suspect that the
frame is now weakened, but he wasn't proficient enough to pinpoint the area
that needed reinforcement.

I would love to know what you find with your car.  Hope this helps,

Jeff