Original oil pressure capillary tube

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Original oil pressure capillary tube
From: dingram@tnet.net (Doug Ingram)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 22:13:59 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hey all,

I'm replacing my combination gauge, and wondering about the oil pressure
capillary tube which runs from the block to the instrument. My old one is
fairly rigid, and looks like steel. It's not easy to bend; the years have
left it quite brittle. It has a section of clear plastic tubing,
approximately in the middle and about 2" long, which sort of splices
together the two pieces of steel tubing. I have seen this flexible section
on other cars, sometimes clear, sometimes black.

I can't find anything in Horler about the tube. Does anyone know if the
original tube had this plastic tubing bit, and/or why the tubes have it?
What material were the original tubes made of?

TIA

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Frogeye