Re: Shock colors

To: Biff Jones <biffjones@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Shock colors
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:56:44 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Biff Jones wrote:

> Okay, Okay you guys made me get off my duff and crawl under my
> '62 to see what the shocks looked like.  My car was built on the
> 23rd of November 1961, 1732 original miles and has the original
> shocks/tires/etc/etc/etc on it.  I have aluminum color shock
> bodies with black painted arms.  I know this is not an AN5 but is
> as close as you can come. Just my .02 on the subject.
>
> How about it George, MR NOS?????? Or are you incognita working on
> a big NOS deal?
>
> Biff, AN5, 'Kermit' & HAN6, 'Ole Gray'

George is in Tampa working right now.

Biff has the final word, and he is in agreement with Terry Horler but
not the concours standards. Horler states that both front and rear
shocks had unpainted bodies but black arms (Horler book pages 37-38).
The concours standards state that the front shocks were dip painted
black in their entirety (January 1997 version, page 19) while the rear
shocks had unpainted bodies and black arms (page 20).

I have seen at least one gold level car (restored) where the front
shocks were indeed painted all balck.

Daniel T. (lurking)