Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested

To: "George Procyshyn" <geopro@cyberdrive.net>, "Herbert Goede" <hgoede@uswest.com>
Subject: Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested
From: "William M. Schickling" <bugeye@dreamscape.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:01:33 -0500
Cc: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <hubbard@idir.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
George,

I registered my car with the Midget and Sprite Club Register. It came back
with some statistics. The earliest Bugeye they have on register is AN5/507.
So it wouldn't be the earliest, but it seems like it would still be
significant. For $ 3500.00 dollors you could buy a pretty decent driver and
drive it down and make a trade.

Bill Schickling

>Herb
>You're quite right,  I came <---> this close to buying AN5/518  last
>summer. This is the 18th bugeye built. The car is in Dallas and owned
>buy a guy who wants a 1275/5speed/big tire/etc etc. car. While this is
>NOT bad, it is with THIS car.
>
>Not terrible rust, but collision damage, calling it a beater is kind. It
>does run.  Worth $12-1500. maybe.  He wouldn't sell for $3500. cash.  I
>feel the car was worth it for it's historical value.  Might be the
>oldest remaining. I offered to get him something more appropriate as
>part trade, no sale. I backed off as I was pissing off the jerk and
>didn't want to burn future possible bridges.
>
>George Procyshyn
>'58 AN5
>

>Herbert Goede wrote:
>>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> People have been missing my point.  It is not that I do not appreciate
some of the
>> modifications and understand their reasons.  I really love the period
mods.
>> I even helped a friend make a very driveable 64 with 1275, rib case .....
But, the
>> car was nothing special to begin with.  The original 1098 was blown (and
I got a
>> spare smotth case.)  It was one in several thousand at least.
>>
>> What I do not agree with is the idea of cutting up a good, rare car to
make what
>> is essentially a limey hot rod.  It irritates me when I see an ad for a
bugeye
>> that has been "totally restored" only to find out it has fiberglass
flares, seats
>> from a Pinto and the tranny from a Datsun - none of which were made
within a
>> decade of the original car.
>>
>> If someone who wants to build a 200 HP pocket rocket finds a bugeye that
was once
>> Donald Healey's personal driver,  I hope he sells it to me before firing
up the
>> heliarc.  I'll find a trasher for him to melt down.
>>
>> Herb
>>
>> Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> > In a message dated 12/2/1999  2:34:58AM,  hgoede@uswest.com writes:
>> >
>> > << with 1 1/4" or worse (Webers) >>
>> >
>> > Don't knock the DCOE Weber carb.  It has been around since at least
1968 and
>> > probably a long while before that.  My two pence worth is that I think
>> > modified cars are great and especially so when they use 'period
>> > modifications'.  So, if any Spridget has a Weber carb fitted (as long
as its
>> > not a DGV) it could be claimed that it was fitted early in the life of
the car
>> > - and on that basis has argueably more right to be their than a pair of
HS2