Bug Eye Upgrade Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bug Eye Upgrade Questions
From: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:04:28 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, I'm starting to lean more towards doing a Bug Eye as my restoration
project.  <Lined up my dad's garage so the restoration idea is a go.>  If I
went with a Bug Eye, I would want to make some improvements.  This leads me
to a few questions.

1.  I'd want to upgrade to a 1275cc engine.  I assume from earlier comments
that this is a fully reversible decision if I decide to go back to the
original or I end up selling the car.  Is this true?  IOW, it does not
requiring any cutting of the chassis or whatever, right?

2.  Will either a smoothcase or ribcase tranny work with the 1275?  I'm
assuming I'd want to upgrade to the ribcase if I couldn't take the idea of
putting a Japanese transmission in my LBC.

3.  I've been told that the front drum brakes are ok to leave as long as
I'm just talking street use.  Bad idea for any kind of autocross?  I don't
envision doing a lot of that, but one never knows.

4.  Alternator vs. Generator - do I need to upgrade the generator to an
alternator?  I won't be having a radio.  So it's a case of how bad are the
generators.  Halogen lights?  Maybe, but I don't have them yet on Arioch,
the '74 Midget so I may never even do that either.

I don't know of anything else I'd maybe need to upgrade?  Anything I've
missed?

As always, all responses are most welcome and appreciated.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos