Re: Rusty parts

To: adrian@icx.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rusty parts
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:53:37 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/28/99 11:51:14 AM EST, adrian@icx.net writes:

<< whether or not these parts, when bolted/screwed in
 place, can cause other parts they come in contact with to start
 rusting.  >>

No Adrian--rust doesnt work that way.  Rust is the oxidation of the
metal==usually a reaction to a break in the "seal" against water or moisture,
which begins and hastens the rust process.  A nail, well coated in an
impervious seal, will not rust even when submerged in water, even salt water.
That's why the Navy is so anal about keeping our steel ships well painted.  If
you know a sailor you probably know a painter as well.

SO--if the parts the ex-rust ridden pieces come into contact with are sealed,
they will not rust.  But then, if the ex-rust ridden pieces are cleaned and
sealed, neither will they continue to rust.

This is certainly not the last word, but its my loose change about the matter.

David