Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 00:12:19 -0500
Cc: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My Midget took on a fair amount of water before I got the car.
This caused the carpets to rot, the vinyl panels and the seats
to grow a nice coat of mold and mildew.  Now after 10 months
inside and a very good cleaning the seats still have that moldy
funky smell.  In this case funk is bad.  Since the seats are
well worn and have the 'funk', I am going to replace the covers
and the foam rubber.  I priced the kits from british vic. and
they are $260 for the seat covers, and $60 for the foam, for
a total cost of $320.  The other route is to have them recovered
and the foam replace at a local upholstery shop.  Just looking
for opinions on which route might be better.  Any thoughts?
I figured I would send this to both lists since the problem
and thoughts would similar.

Thanks,

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget, with the funk