Re: E-brake simple question,

To: Toby Atwater <tob@taltec.net>
Subject: Re: E-brake simple question,
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:10:50 -0500
Cc: Sprite Maling List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby Atwater wrote:

> I thought I was done with the brakes! always stuff to fix....
>
>     My emergency (parking) brake arms have seen better days. The hole where
>the
> bolt attaches it to the E-brake rod is OVAL. and the actual bolt is about
>half its
> thickness where it used to rub on the arm. Do you know what I'm talking
>about? It's
> like that on both sides. Moss Motors doesn't carry the new part. What people
>should
> I try next? any recommendations? any part sellers on the list? I guess I could
> jimmy it with a piece of steel pipe & a new bolt, but I would rather fix it
> correctly. This is on a 69 sprite with drums in the rear, and (NEW!) discs up
> front.
>
> As always, any & all help is very greatly appreciated.....
>
> Toby

Toby

In the first place there should be no bolts in those holes.
It should have clevis pins and a cotter pin on the bottom.
The bolts are what probably wore out the holes. They have to move
freely.
If possible drill out the holes to 1/4" and buy new clevis pins.
I don't think 5/16" will work, that'a a bit too big. The originals are
3/16 (or there abouts).
New clevis pins are available at any hardware store. Use plenty of
Neverseize or grease on the pins to prevent future wear.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ