Rams/Trumpets/Horns, was Re: 45 DCOE Air tubes

To: branch@valinet.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rams/Trumpets/Horns, was Re: 45 DCOE Air tubes
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:52:31 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/3/1999  12:16:39PM,  branch@valinet.com writes:

<<  Does anyone have experience with air tubes on 45 DCOE
 Webers?  Are they necessary?  (some sources say absolutely, some say not).
 If so, how long should they be? and what about air filters to go over them?

Hi Geoff,

Lots of experience, lots of old rams pipes kicking about.

They are not 'necessary' in the sense that the carb will work without them,
but it will work inefficiently, so that it always better to fit them.  I would
burn any book or magazine feature that says that are not necessary and
likewise 'ignore' 'advice' from anyone who says the same.

I wouldn't worry too much about the length - I have not found a lot of
difference in using different lengths.  The current thinking (not surprising
when you consider finer carburation theory) is that you want as much length as
you can get on the inlet manifold and as long as you have a ram fitted (they
go down to 16mm) that is fine.

SHAPE is the most important factor when it comes to Rams.  I have found that
the Full Radius ram, that apparently are only available in the UK is far
better than anything else and I am at a loss to understand why they are so
scarce in usage.  The only snag with them is that they require certain
modifications to fit.

Unless you can afford very frequent engine re-bores, piston rings etc ALWAYS
use an air filter - there is after all no reason not to.  I have used K&N
filters for years though I note that 'foam' filter users claim they are
equally good.  I think it was David Vizard (at a seminar in the UK) that said
that on a DCOE the K&N design of filter case helped produce power by virtue of
the case lid reflecting back inlet pulses or something like that.

If you use the Full Radius rams - highly recommended for street use - you need
a K&N filter in a large oval size, it needs the case lid pillars modified for
the Full Radius rams to fit and clearance on the inner wing (on a Spridget) is
critical on most lengths of inlet manifold - but the inner wing can of course
be relieved.

Daniel1312