Yep -- Threads again.....Was Bulbs

To: Lancer7676@aol.com, racer45@bellsouth.net
Subject: Yep -- Threads again.....Was Bulbs
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:12:10 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Yes, seems like I've seen those inserts somewhere myself.  In the past
I had to just tap out the stripped hole to a larger size to save the
pan, and this was on an American engine with a cross-threaded plug of
correct thread type!  To avoid dropping steel shavings into the sump
that meant removing the pan first and cleaning it good after the fix.
All that added up to a major headache -- the alternative was to endure
a leak (which I've also done on other cars with a mangled drain).

My whole point in asking the thread type for Midgets was to avoid this
kind of nonsense by using the right plug to begin with.  I have some
reason to suspect that the drain threads might be British plumbing
standard, and if so then screwing in something from the local American
hardware store might cause the above-mentioned nightmare.  I don't
know that for sure, but I'd like to know before experimenting on my
pan, tranny case or axle -- that's why I asked the question.  If
someone can tell me that American threads are compatible here I'll
happily use American drain plugs!  Till then I remain
suspicious......just because you can wrestle a part in place doesn't
mean everything's ok.

Michael

---Lancer7676@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/15/99 12:26:46 PM EST, mdietsche@yahoo.com
writes:

> <<  anyone who has ever stripped the threads
>  on an oil pan will agree with me.  >>
>
> Michael--
>
> There is some sort of insert you can buy that screws into stripped
oil pan
> threads--it has its own plug/bolt for draining the oil.  I can't
remember
> where I saw it--coulda been JC Whitney or perhaps someplace like
NAPA or
> Advance.  I am thinking it was Whitney.
>
> ---David

==