Re: Hood Cable removal??

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hood Cable removal??
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:15:30 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, York!
I read some of the responses before I got to your original question, and I
was going to suggest that you can rig up a bonnet release to come out in
the left front wheelwell and avoid having to replace the cable (at least at
this time).   Then I saw your objective is to replace the firewall trim
panel that the cable goes through.  I hope this isn't too discouraging, but
I had to schedule the replacement of that panel to be done after an
engine/tranny pull because of that cable.

The release out through the wheelwell is still a good idea --- either as a
backup way to open your bonnet when the main cable breaks, or (as I have
found) a more convenient way to open the bonnet for maintenance.  I rarely
use the main cable to release the bonnet.  There is an extra hole on the
bonnet release to which I attached a length of aircraft safety wire, ran it
through a small hole in the left splash shield, slipped on a short length
of plastic tubing for a comfortable handle, and formed a loop in the wire,
trapping the tubing.  When I want to open the bonnet, I just reach into the
wheelwell for the loop, and pull.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain