Re: Silicon Brake Fluid

To: Scott Bullock <sbull@preferred.com>
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake Fluid
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:19:18 -0500
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Scott Bullock wrote:

> The bugeye's body shell is off to the paint shop and I now turn my
> attention to the brakes and other joys.  The front had been converted to
> disk at some point and I plan to to keep this conversion as the car is
> fitted with a 1275 engine.  I had planned all along to use silicon fluid
> (DOT 5).  The entire brake system is new so no problems with mixing
> fluids.  I bought remanufactured calapers from Apple Hydraulics. They
> sent along a set of installation tips - cleaning bleeding,etc.  but one
> of these tips was to not use silicon fluid (voids quarantee)!  Their
> reasoning was that they receive many complaints from their customers
> about various problems (srinking seals, swelling seals, etc.). I suspect
> most if not all of these problems come from improper
> instalation,cleaning,and contamination from incompatable fluids.
> Has anyone else had experience with the Apple parts?  The original A-H
> workshop manual calls for "Lockheed Super Heavy Break Fluid" or other
> fluid conforming to S.A.E 70 R.3 - What is the modern equal?  Thanks
> Scott

Scot

I am using silicon dot 5 brake fluid.
My only problem has been eating numerous brake light switches.
I installed a contact type brake light switch in place of the hydraulic
pressure switch. Other then that, all is perfect.
No mushy pedal as some say, actually it is the best LBC brake system in
my fleet.
I have genuine Lockheed brake parts and rebuild parts in the entire
system.
Some of those cheap replacment kits don't last no matter which fluid you
use.

Castrol LMA dot 4 is what to use if you decide against silicone.

As far as Apple hydraulics goes, Never again for me!
Peter C does what Apple does, Peter is on the list, Apple is not.
Peter owns a few LBCs, Apple does not.
Peter takes pride in his work, Apple does not.
As you can see, I have gotten the same parts from both Peter and Apple,
the difference is night and day.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ