Re: Silicon Brake Fluid

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, sbull@preferred.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake Fluid
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:21:02 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 19/3/1999  3:36:20PM,  Ajhsys@aol.com writes:

A fairly comprehensive reply from Allen most of which I agree with.  In the UK
while you are better off using DOT4 fluid the DOT3 in the UK, and probably
only the UK is just fine.  Thats right, in the UK hardly anyone ever has
problems with DOT 3 fluid other than a couple of cheap brands you hardly ever
see in the shops.  Yes, in the UK DOT 3 is fine, just fine, but never, ever in
the USA.  Still, the Castrol DOT4 whether UK or USA is good stuff (but is
slightly different)

There is a road usable DOT 5.1 which is the ultimate road fluid.

As far as race cars go, in the UK at least I think once a month is a better
bet for brake fluid replacement, at least with the race fluids available here.

'stopping a lot of fun' can in fact mean stopping when you hit a brick wall,
oak tree, truck or whatever.  If you live a mountainous area think really hard
about how hard you work the brakes - don't think silicone.

In the Uk at least, LOCKHEED (they know a thing or too about automotive disc
brakes - they invented them I think) will not guarantee any part used with
Silicone fluid  and don't recommend it.  What more can you say?

Daniel1312

<< I intend to use Castrol LMA, which is a DOT 4 brake fluid.  This is the
best
 all-around fluid for cars that will be street driven.  It has a high temp
 rating, and LMA stands for Low Moisture Absorption.  (Actually, Ed Kaler
 convinced me in his usual, friendly way!)

 If you are racing the car, use the best racing brake fluid you can find, and
 change it frequently.  Usually after each race, but twice a year minimum.

 If you are building a trailer queen, you might want to consider silicone (DOT
 5) fluid.  It will not instantly destroy paint if you drip some.  It will
 destroy the seals in the in-line brake light switch, if your car is so
 equipped.  You will have to rebuild it a few times each year.  As far as the
 rest of what Apple said about silicone, that is based on early formulations
of
 silicone brake fluid.  It is a much better product now and does not affect
 seals (except the ones in those in-line brake light switches).

 Silicone fluid does not absorb water, but that means that water can pool at
 the low points in the brake lines, causing rust..and it can also turn to
 steam, which makes stopping a lot of fun.  You must change silicone fluid
 annually to prevent damage.

 Okay, watch out for label info.  There is a DOT 5.1 fluid available from
 someone that is NOT silicone.  It is a different formulation of DOT 4.

 I don't think anyone who knows about LBCs would consider using standard DOT 3
<< unless you live in the UK>>
 fluid.  Castrol LMA isn't much more expensive, it's available in all Pep Boys
 stores, and it has a higher temp rating. >>