Re: Speaking of Midget keys... What about Sprites?

To: spritenut@Exit109.com, Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com
Subject: Re: Speaking of Midget keys... What about Sprites?
From: Frmjr45@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:38:38 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-04-02 20:24:48 EST, spritenut@Exit109.com writes:

<<
 > Are the boot keys from the same blanks as the ignition keys?
 > When I bought my '62 MKII Sprite the DPO said that they never had a trunk
 > key in the five years they owned the car.
 > So now I'm looking for a boot key or even a blank one. The blanks that VB
 > sells are listed only as ignition w/ no mention of the boot. Not that I
 > would want a key with the MG logo on it for my Sprite... I just want to
lock
 > my boot.
 > Any suggestions?
 >
 > -Drew

 Early Spridgets had 2 different keys.
 1 fit the doors and ignition (the square top Union key) trhe retangular
 top (smaller) key was used for the boot only.  >>

I have owned my '62 Midget since '63 and I have the original 2 sets of keys.
I just checked one set and both the trunk key and the ignition key are
identical.  The top is round and they say Union, made in England on one side
and Wilmot Breeden on the other.  I have a small piece of black electrical
tape left on the spare ignition I put on there to distinguish them in a pinch
or darkness.  The other set I use regularly has the ignition key worn down to
base metal so it is easily identified after all these years.   Once when I
had Jack Merryman do some work for me, one of his employees started and moved
my car with the wrong ignition key.  He had picked up one off the board with
the owners keys on it, thinking it was mine.

Russ Mullaly
Ellicott City, MD
1962 Midget (still looking for a new garage to house it, since my marriage
broke up; I can keep it in the old garage until I find it new lodgings)