bville motor(no LBC)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: bville motor(no LBC)
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 04:55:26 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
We have finally decided that it was time to run the Real Bonneville motor
this next meet.... Rather then sneaking up on this speed thing we need to
gain some experience tuning this motor...

This Motor is an Old DZ 302 out of a 68 Camaro and after that it was built
up as a Comp eliminator Motor.... it ran 7.80's in the quarter mile... If
you have ever played with drag racing you can appreciate just how fast that
is... Anyway I bought the motor years ago but only took delivery about 6
months ago... and Decided that it needed to come apart to be cleaned up and
checked out...

after playing with Healeys all my life... I don't think I ever had an
appreciation for Compression.... This thing has around 15:1 compression and
the Head gasket is only .018 thick.... The Pistons go so far up in the Head
I don't see how the valves keep away from them.... amazing... The Motor
builds between 630-709 hp
The Crankshaft was de-stroked to give it a 2.90 stroke and the bore is at
4.030.. for a end cubic inch size of 295 inches.. The Heads have been
shaved in excess of .200 and the have been ported by Hogan racing out of
California.... awesome set of heads.... old Cast iron units called 292
castings...

Can you imagine what this thing is going to do in a Bugeye someday rather
then the Camaro I am currently running... WOW... I don't really know what
to expect at the 1 May meet but with this motor and the car sorted out as
well as it is... this should be our fastest outing of the year on the East
coast... if we can get it breathing in it's 9000-10,500 range we should put
down a couple of passes in the 180mph range... hmmm I think this is getting
fast... 166mph seems kinda slow... It also means that the 200mph pass on
the salt this year is going to be a real possibility.... Which would tickle
me to no end...

Well folks that's the up date...sorry if I bored anyone... I am just a
Healey geek doing the Land Speed thing.... in a Camaro... YUCK.... but a
fella has to learn somewhere... Trust me when I say I am glad I didn't
build the Healey in a vacuum and try to do what I am doing now... When the
bugeye gets built I will at least have a clue as to what I want out of a
race car..
Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )