Re: anti freeze & corrosion

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anti freeze & corrosion
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:55:07 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
andy webster wrote:

> A word on anti freeze.
> The glycol in itself offers no corrosion protection.Quite the
> opposite in fact, its fairly corrosive,even at low concentrations.
> Hence the need for added corrosion inhibitors.
> This property of coolants requires that you always mix it to at least
> the recommended concentration, so that there is sufficient
> concentration of corrosion inhibitors to protect the metal from the
> glycol.
>  Aside from that, to me its just 'anti boil' (no snow in oz (less'un
> you looks for it) And i dunno about elsewhere but here you realy have
> to study the packaging to ensure a quality product.
> Ive seen glycol conc.s ranging from 100g/litre to 1050g/litre (must
> be less dense than water) and everything in between. I even saw one
> brand that said 960 mg/l (milligrams!) and thought that it must be a
> misprint.
> generally,
> You get what you pay for,
> but some of the dearer ones ar still cat's....water
> Over here a couple of good ones are castrol and mobil (not premix)
> both in 2.5 litre(liter)(ha!)packs.
> If you use it DON'T SKIMP! USE AT LEAST THE MINIMUM RECOMMENDED RATIO
> (about 1/3 coolant to water if your brand is >900g/l glycol or better)
> personally I prefer good soft water and a can of castrol soluble oil.
> There are also products containing organic carboxylates that are
> supposed to improve the heat transfer coefficient at all water~metal
> interfaces and thus improve cooling but I'm yet to try any of these
> so I'll reserve judgment!
>
> > Use the antifreeze for its anti-corrosive properties.  The rust
> >and corrosion will hurt you fast.  Aside from the Ethylene and
> Diethylene
> >Glycol in the anti-freeze, extra corrosion inhibitors are added as
> well.

May I add one more car to this train of thought on anti-freeze?

For sake of all the animals in the word, please use Sierra or Prestone
Low-Tox, that does not poison our pets the way regular glycol anti
freezes do. Every time I get a new car into my shop, the first thing I
do is take out the damn poisonous antifreeze. My dog and two cars share
my shop and all of them are too precious to be lost just because the
regular antifreeze is a dollar cheaper.

I will step down off my soap box down, please resume your normal
activities.

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC........TG....(Think Green)