anti freeze & corrosion

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: anti freeze & corrosion
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 07:04:42 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
A word on anti freeze.
The glycol in itself offers no corrosion protection.Quite the
opposite in fact, its fairly corrosive,even at low concentrations.
Hence the need for added corrosion inhibitors.
This property of coolants requires that you always mix it to at least
the recommended concentration, so that there is sufficient
concentration of corrosion inhibitors to protect the metal from the
glycol.
 Aside from that, to me its just 'anti boil' (no snow in oz (less'un
you looks for it) And i dunno about elsewhere but here you realy have
to study the packaging to ensure a quality product.
Ive seen glycol conc.s ranging from 100g/litre to 1050g/litre (must
be less dense than water) and everything in between. I even saw one
brand that said 960 mg/l (milligrams!) and thought that it must be a
misprint.
generally,
You get what you pay for,
but some of the dearer ones ar still cat's....water
Over here a couple of good ones are castrol and mobil (not premix)
both in 2.5 litre(liter)(ha!)packs.
If you use it DON'T SKIMP! USE AT LEAST THE MINIMUM RECOMMENDED RATIO
(about 1/3 coolant to water if your brand is >900g/l glycol or better)
personally I prefer good soft water and a can of castrol soluble oil.
There are also products containing organic carboxylates that are
supposed to improve the heat transfer coefficient at all water~metal
interfaces and thus improve cooling but I'm yet to try any of these
so I'll reserve judgment!

> Use the antifreeze for its anti-corrosive properties.  The rust
>and corrosion will hurt you fast.  Aside from the Ethylene and
Diethylene
>Glycol in the anti-freeze, extra corrosion inhibitors are added as
well.