Re: Mk 2 Problem.

To: SirIanOfCa@aol.com
Subject: Re: Mk 2 Problem.
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:38:44 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
SirIanOfCa@aol.com wrote:

> I recently aqquired a 63 Mk 2.The car as a whole is very solid and straight
> with no rust whatsoever.The previous owner however had chopped part of the
> firewall and the transmission tunnel out to facilitate the installation of a
> Fiero V6 engine.He never completed the project so I got the car and tore out
> the V6.What I am wondering is I have acces to a 77 rubber bumper that has
> been hit bad and is a write off.Is the transmission tunnel the same as the Mk
> 2? Can I cut the firewall and trans tunnel out of the rubber bumper and weld
> it into the Mk 2? I know the rubber bumper midgets were the 1500 engine is
> the transmission tunnel still the same?
>
> Any help thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Apart from this
> problem the car is far too nice to let go and use as a parts car.
>
> Thanks a lot  Ian.
>
> 63 Sprite under restoration.
> Bugeye on the backburner.

This is what I know.  I think the transmission tunnel is the same except for the
drivers side which has a small bulge which is an oval that is about 10
inches long by 5 inches tall.  This bulge is several inches off the floor
pan.  This bulge is there to accommodate the bell housing and starter.
The reason I say this is the guy doing my interior was thought that
my interior panel on the transmission tunnel wall was missing a piece.  Turns
out the piece is not missing, but here is no covering over this bulge.  I think
that is the only difference, but since I have only own one midget (77) I
could be wrong.  Check it out yourself of maybe a real expert will chime
in, not the quasi/pseudo expert you got to answer the question.  Good luck
and if you intend to part out the car I might be interest in some of the
parts.  Where are you located?

Thanks and good luck,

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget san engine