Re: synchro "zip"

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: synchro "zip"
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:12:41 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-04-29 22:44:02 EDT, ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

> OK, it's a half-yup.  On up-shifting it helps, but on down-shifting, the
>  longer you wait, the worse it gets.
>  While waiting, the engine rpm drops, but it was too slow for the
>  down-shift in the first place.

My understanding (or lack thereof): On the downshift, blip the throttle on
your pause through neutral with the clutch up to spin the innards of the
gearbox up to the speed of  the input shaft.  The synchros use friction rings
and sliders to engage the spinning gears and bring them to a synchronized
speed as you shift, and your pause in neutral / throttle blip is doing that
for you.  I spent a year with no third and 4th synchros on my old MGB, and it
gets to be second nature quickly (not to mention Sprite first gear for those
of us who don't have Splite 5-speeds).