Re: Brit Bikes

To: Ric_Bergstrom@britishcarclub.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brit Bikes
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 06:53:09 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I used to ride myself a few years back, and still do occasionally for
pleasure but not to commute. In melbourne we have electric trams all over
the city and when you cross the track your rear wheel gives a little wiggle.
One night it was pouring rain and I was on malvern rd near burke rd, behind
a TAXI (typical) who decided to stop to make a turn without indicating. I
had to veer significantly to avoid him and as it went, my inertia
(resistance to a turning force) was greater than the traction between the
skinny tyre of a honda 250 and the wet steel tram track. The back wheel kept
going straight and  the next I knew I was sliding down the road with my
bike, sparks flyin' everywhere and headed for a hard landing.
I'm probably lucky to be walking.
I still love bikes especially old brits, dad had beesas,a trumpy thunderbird
and his brothers; a vincent and a nor-vin (norton v-twin in vincent
frame...nice) so it's in the blood I s'pose. But these days when I cross a
tram track and feel that wiggle, my colon turns to ice.