Re: Heater Control Valves

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com, JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heater Control Valves
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 00:46:53 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I still think this just blowing smoke. I reviewed the section of David
Vizards book that deals with these issues, and it is addressed only in the
context of cylinder head passageways being blocked by corrosion, which is
most likely the real source of this issue/problem. He does offer a by-pass
method to improve head cooling, but is offered up as a remedy for
super-built, supercharged high horsepower engines. I have a good friend who
vintage races a 135hp Huffaker built 1275 Sprite and his engines have the
bypass capped... with no problems. Some vintage racers use this opening as
a better place to connect the expansion tank, since it can be mounted
higher on the firewall, but it doesn't do anything to improve cooling.

Gerard

At 4:26 PM -0400 5/5/99, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 05/5/1999  8:03:50PM,  pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com writes:
>
><< I'm not sure that the premise that the valve being closed causes any
> cylinder overheating problem, at least I've never heard this before. There
> is still a water jacket around the last cylinder allowing water to
> circulate. The valve just allows water to be diverted from the cylinder
> head to the core. Since race engines have this opening capped, I can't
> imagine that this is really a problem.
>  >>
>I'm sure it does and I've heard it a lot.  I have seen racers with the
>opening capped and they have had problems (duh).
>
>Yes, there is coolant around the cylinder but what about the combustion
>chamber?
>
>The valve doesn't just allow water to circulate to the core (which in itself
>sheds heat) but having been through the core it returns to the front of the
>engine (circulates).
>
>But to put all this in perspective what can cause problems on highly tuned
>road engines is different from a racer (which never has to idle in traffic
>and always gets a good flow of air) and different again from a standard
>engine (just doesn't make much power and therefore heat).
>
>Other views? experiences?
>

>Daniel1312

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A