Re: Commemorative Cars

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Commemorative Cars
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 21:44:26 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bill Elliott wrote:

> I have some experience with these cars.  They are dreadfully undervalued
> and maligned by the automotive press.  While they're no Miata
> (everyone's primary complaint) they are a very capable FWD convertible,
> especially in XR2 (turbo) form.
>
> The engine is the basic Mazda 1.6 (same as the Miata) ion the base form
> with the XR2 having the 323GTX/GT engine making 132hp (really more like
> 150 and easily tweakable to 200+)  We always wondered why they never
> offered the 1.6T in the Miata or the AWD GTX drivetrain in the Capri!
> Either would have been a blast!
>
> The main issue with the Capri is the encnobox suspension.  the XR2
> version is better, but benfits greatly from further modification. Millen
> made all sorts of toys for the Capri.
>
> If your subject is a standard car (especially with a slushbox) don't
> bother.  If it's an XR2, however, it's worth the effort to keep and
> drive.  Niether car will make you much money, though.
>
> Bill Elliott
> Lake Mills, WI
> Mark Snowdon wrote:

> > On anther note. Does anyone on the list have any experience with 90-93
> > Mercury Capri's? I have the opportunity to buy one really cheap with a
> > busted timing belt, and I assume bent valves to go with that. Are these
> > cars worth putting any money into? I understand they are built in Oz, so
> > maybe Down-under Peter can comment. Let me know asap as I have to jump
> > on this if I am going to take it.
> >
> > Mark Snowdon
> > Greensboro NC
Here's a question. Assuming that the motor is shot(bent valves damaged
pistons) would it make sense to switch in a 323 GT drivetrain? I have
one available to me at the junkyard I work in. Would everything,
including computer, fit right in? I don't have any plans to try to make
money on the car, just make a good daily driver to go the thirty miles
to work everyday. This way I wont run up the miles up on the LBC's.

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC