Re: Commemorative Cars

To: <Herb_Goede@amsinc.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Commemorative Cars
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:24:29 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Having owned a '67 Firbird Conv (400/4Speed), and a 74 Vega Wagon, and a
82 Toyota Corolla SR-5 Liftback (sorta like a poormans Volovo 1800S), and
a 63 VW Conv, and a 75 Midget, and a 78 Midget, and a 84 Caravan, and a
96 Neon, I have to agree the Midgets and the Firebird are the ones to
remember.

Larry

>List,
>
>The car collecting malady is not limited to LBCs.  My wife insists that I
>do not have a car buying problem.  I am forty years old and have personally
>owned only 5 cars.  (My wife's cars do not count.) The cars in order of
>appearance, '59 Sprite, '69 Firebird Conv, '75 Monza, '79 RX-7, '89 Alfa
>Spyder.
>
>Not bad you say?  My problem is with selling them.  I still own the Sprite,
>RX-7 and Alfa.  And given the opportunity to correct the mistake would
>still have the Firebird.  My justifications are 1) the Sprite isn't really
>a car.  It's a pet.  A pet is a member of the family. And you can't sell a
>member of the family.  Right?  (If I'm wrong would anyone like my well
>broken in 50 year old sister.)  2) The RX-7 isn't worth much.  It always
>starts and we might as well keep it for bad weather and when one of the
>primary drivers is acting up.  3) The Alfa is my daily driver (unless it
>has a problem in which case see #2).
>
>You may have noticed that all of the cars that I have retained were made in
>the last year of a decade.  The only decade of my life not commemorated
>with a car is the '60s.  Remember the Firebird.  Filling that hole
>shouldn't be a problem.  Lots of cars made in '69 are appealing (E-type,
>TR6, MGB, 'Cuda, Firebird, Shelby, Mach I).  My main  concern is that I
>have not seen anything made in '99 that I am even remotely interested in
>buying let alone holding on to.
>
>Car makers take notice.  You have seven months.
>Herb G.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager