Re: front seal on the diff.

To: "Bruce Woodward" <brucewoodward@kconline.com>, "Rick/Carolyn" <walters@mail.softcom.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front seal on the diff.
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:10:30 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bruce,

If you'd like to fashion something resembling the actual service tool, the
shop manual specifies tool number 18G34A, Bevel Pinion Flange Wrench. It is
a long flat bar spanner with a flat circular ring at one end. Positioned
around this ring are 4 pins that are inserted into the flange bolt holes to
prevent rotation while the nut is loosened. The handle appears to be 4
times the diameter of the flange and about 1/3rd the diameter wide. The nut
is torqued to 140lb ft. Good luck and good leverage!

Gerard

At 8:42 AM -0500 5/9/99, Bruce Woodward wrote:
>I thought that seal was supposed to leak, spewing rust inhibiting lube onto
>the underside of the car!
>
>seriously.  I tried to replace that seal while I had the rear end out and
>could not get the 1-1/8" nut broken loose.  It appears to turn
>counterclockwise to loosen, but I could not find a way to secure the pinion
>shaft from rotating to get that d**n nut broken loose.
>
>I will be pulling the rear end again in a few weeks.  anybody have a
>suggestion?   I Have tried also with axle back in car and handbrake on full
>and stil I turn the axle shafts while trying to remove that d**n nut.  I
>also have bent by 1/2" craftsman breakover bar trying this!
>

>bruce@woodward-realty.com

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com