Radiator Pressure

To: "'Majordomo, Spridgets List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Radiator Pressure
From: "Gronberg, John" <john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:06:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Last week I asked a question about the various pressure (radiator caps) used
on vertical and cross flow radiators.  We all know the early vertical flow
radiators used a 7 pound cap and the later vertical flow radiators used a
higher capacity cap.  Some respondents to my early question indicated the
top and bottom tank can actually "bow" out from excess pressure.  I don't
understand why the vertical flow radiators are more susceptible to this
pressure sensitivity?  Aren't the horizontal flow radiators susceptible to
the same thing?  My vertical flow is a soldered unit, the one on my 89
Mustang is a "glued" one. How is it that a soldered vertical flow radiator
(1965) is more susceptible to pressure that a glued (1998) horizontal flow
radiator?