Re: Windshields, etc.

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Windshields, etc.
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 13:48:44 EDT
Cc: dannyr@flint.umich.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi All,

Before going insane and dealing with LBC's I spent 30 years in the
optical business grinding and polishing glass, CR-39 and Polycarbonate.

I can assure you that you can grind away the pits and scratches and
polish the glass afterwards.  BUT, notice the size of the letters? When
you do any processes like this you will be removing some materiel and you
will be doing it in a hand held manner, so you will have a very high
probability of coming up with some pretty wavy surfaces.  They will be
polished, but when you look through it, you may wish you hadn't done it.
It also involves some very messy slurries and polishing agents that will
have to be cleaned up afterwards.  Might be more work than installing a
new windscreen.

Putting in a new windshield and looking through the new sufraces is
better than getting a new prescription and new glasses from the doctor.

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com