Re: O2 Sensor for Tuning Carbs & Spark Plug Question

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: O2 Sensor for Tuning Carbs & Spark Plug Question
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:09:19 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I've got an O2 sensor installed on my Sprite along with a Halmeter (I didn't
find out about the cheap Summit meters until too late).  In fact, I went a
mile further and installed O2 bosses also on the front and rear pipes of the
header (in order to better test specific carb effects) as well as on the
main collector.  It works pretty well, however I would suggest that getting
a heated O2 sensor is a requirement vs. an option.  The readings do not
fluctuate as much with a heated sensor and heated sensors are only about $20
more than non-heated ones.  One thing that I have always wondered about
though is the effect of having this relatively huge sensor sticking out into
the tiny exhaust pipe (I only use one sensor and swap places if I have a
question about a carb, they make caps for O2 bosses)...  Its let me get
combustion pretty close to what I consider perfect (slightly richer than
stochiometric).

Another question that I have is the effect of spark plug heat ranges upon
combustion.  Exactly how do heat ranges affect the combustion process?
Assuming that I were running a mixture slightly richer than stochiometric,
what effect would a colder or hotter plug have on the combustion?  TIA

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite (1275)