Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:19:10 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ulix -

I'm not saying that you don't have a valid point, and I'm sorry if I
gave that impression.  I didn't make my point very well.  Driver
training of young people is a hot-button issue for me, and maybe I
should explain why.

One of my closest friends was killed driving his Mother's Mercedes.  He
was driving it that day SPECIFICALLY because his parents thought he
would be safer in it than in his own car.

He died that day, not because he was hod-rodding, but because he had
NEVER BEEN TAUGHT HOW TO HANDLE A SKID, let alone drilled on it until it
was automatic.  I know because I slid safely through the same corner, at
the same speed, about 5 seconds after him.  He shouldn't have been
driving that day, Mercedes or no.

My point is that the vehicle you choose isn't the whole equation.  If
the kid is poorly trained (and most are), there may not be ANY vehicle
that is "safe enough" under some conditions.  Take the time to train
your children well behind the wheel, and they'll be safer no matter what
they drive.

Chris