Other Hobbies

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Other Hobbies
From: Bob Chamberlain <bobchamb@southwind.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:46:10
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
While flying my radio controlled model airplane this morning I got to
thinking how some of the tools I had might be used on our LBC. I have an
optical tach which I use to determine the propeller RPM on my models. I aim
it at the prop and, by sensing the light pulses, it tells me the engine
speed.This might have some uses in the engine compartment.  Paint two white
spots on the crank pulley to simulate a two bladed prop and calibrate your
car's tach. Be sure to use a DC light source however, as the 60 cycles AC
your drop light puts out will confuse the unit.Shine it at a light bulb and
it will register 3600, the frequency the light bulb is on when plugged in
110 volt, 60 cycle AC house current.