RE: 77 Midget throwout bearing lever

To: "'William M. Gilroy'" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: 77 Midget throwout bearing lever
From: "Haynes, Mark" <mhaynes@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 07:42:42 -0600
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
William, The bell housing and throw out assembly are the same as on our 1300
tr****ph. What you were missing was the fulcrum pin (definitely
necessary),and it's retaining sleeve (kind of like a wave washer in
cylindrical form). The bushings are removed as you noted, from outside
inwards, and are available from TR suppliers (where we got ours escapes me
at the moment). The clutch could, ostensibly work without the fulcrum pin,
as long as it was lost after the engine was assembled to the tranny. It was
probably pivoting on the bell housing. If the DPO didn't use a retaining
sleeve, then that's why the pin left. When I installed ours into our race
motor, I turned a new pin (extra long), and cross-drilled the end. Then I
pushed a cotter pin through and used it to keep the pin from falling out (
cotter pin to the top of the tranny). We haven't had a problem since, though
I've seen other TR racers drop them during races-clutch still works, but
doesn't disengage quite right. Hope this helps- Just my experience
Mark Haynes
'65 Spi***re RMVR #162
'62 HAN6