Re: A REAL Horn!

To: HFC <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: A REAL Horn!
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:28:26 -0700
Cc: spidgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Herb,
    I felt as a train engineer, I ought to answer this one.  The horn
(whistle) on todays trains is over 115 decibels.  That's not very far
from a running jet engine.  The human ear is only comfortable with 65 to
85 decibels maximum for short periods of time.  I'm sure if you intend
to use this on your car and an officer of the law hears it, you might be
explaining to the judge what local train is minus it's whistle.  Besides
needing enough compressed air to run a hundred air tools, they are
LARGE.  I've seen people at grade crossings jump out of their skin if
the whistle surprised them.  Hmmmm.  I guess you wouldn't be ignored in
an LBC with that warning device.
Mike Maclean-60 Sprite and Dash-9/44CW, 200 ton EMD Locomotive as my
"other" car.