Re: Temperature Question 2

To: "Gronberg, John" <john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com>
Subject: Re: Temperature Question 2
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 07:13:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Now it doesn't sound like you had a thermostat problem.  Running with the
gutted plate showed how cool the system could possibly run.....190 deg at the
gage.  So you're not gonna get it to run any cooler than that with any
thermostat; in fact, with a working thermostat installed it will stabilize a
little higher than the 190 gage (because of the additional restriction a true
thermostat offers versus the gutted plate).  And that's pretty much what you
initially reported, with a stabilzed gage reading at 200 deg after the
thermostat opened up.

190 deg free flow seems a little high to me too, especially since your earlier
post implied it used to run cooler before you did the cooling system work.  It
comes down to the remaining possibilities -- the gage reading is off, or the
rest of the system isn't cooling as well as it used to.

I know you have confidence in the gage, but it's probably the easiest thing to
check and the easiest problem to resolve if that's really what's going on here.
 Personally I'd verify that it's really running at that temp, since the
operation of the system seems normal except for the somewhat high reading.  But
if it really is running slightly hot, look at all the components you changed
out first, then at the rest of the system for secondary effects/faults.

It's always possible that the recored radiator isn't as good or is restricted
somehow.  Or a new hose could be pinched, or crud could have been introduced
into the system, or something's up with the water pump, etc. etc.  But unless
you see something obvious I'd verify the water temp to make sure there's really
a problem.  You'd hate to tear into it and do something drastic to solve a
non-existent problem....

"If you disturb it, it will fail."

MD

--- "Gronberg, John" <john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com> wrote:
> Last night I took a thermostat and removed the "guts" from it and
> reinstalled the gutted plate back in the car.  The car got up to 190 F and
> stayed there. Does that point to the Trak brand thermostats not opening up
> all the way?
>
> Regards
> John Gronberg
> Siemens Building Technologies, Inc.