Re: Temperature Question 2

To: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Subject: Re: Temperature Question 2
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 18:48:49 EDT
Cc: suhs2@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I've always thought that the story of hot pockets of coolant around #4
cyl. with the heater valve shut off in the off position was an urban
myth.  How about someone drilling about a dozen holes in their block and
put on a twelve point recorder so it can be defined as myth or not!

Look at the thousands of cars that get run in the summer with the valve
to off.  Are they all failing because of that?  I don't think so!

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:24:23 -0500 Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
writes:

>Being a bug-eye (vintage racer) owner for only a few short months, the
>topic of
>the
>heater valve on the rear of the engine still mystifies me.
>
>I currently have a special adapter fitted to the head at that position
>with the
>temp
>sender for my VDO gauge installed there. I've heard stories about #4
>getting
>hot,
>and other stories about steam pockets forming if that valve is closed
>or blanked
>off. I decided to put my temp sender there to see if I could pick up
>any
>indication.
>
>With a 160 thermostat installed, and racing in mid-70 degree weather
>on 5/22, my
>temp gauge read 180-200 on the false grid (no fan!) but once I was out
>on the
>track
>at speed it went right down to 165-170 and stayed there. This
>indicated to me
>that
>the rear section of my engine (water jacket around the #4 vacinity)
>was rather
>cool -
>maybe too cool according to some paddock observers.
>
>I had previously checked the calibration of my gauge prior to
>installation to
>make
>sure it was reading correctly. So I'm either very lucky not to have a
>temperature
>problem in that area with my current set-up, or the problem is there
>but I
>cannot
>pick it up in that uppermost rear position for some reason.
>
>Any thoughts appreciated, and TIA...
>
>Greg Schulz
>'58 Bug-eye (Vintage racer & street "legal")
>

>shawn tobin <suhs2@hotmail.com> on 06/03/99 11:30:43 AM
>
>Please respond to shawn tobin <suhs2@hotmail.com>
>
>To:   mdietsche@yahoo.com, john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com
>cc:   spridgets@autox.team.net (bcc: Gregory Schulz/MED/IT/ATLAS
>COPCO)
>
>Subject:  Re: Temperature Question 2
>

>Perhaps this is a good time to remind us that the heater valve on the
>rear
>of the head MUST be kept open and flowing either through the heater or
>directly into the heater return hose.  Elsewise #4 will likely run too
>hot.

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.