Re: flares (not bellbottoms!)

To: Andy Webster <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: flares (not bellbottoms!)
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:27:57 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Andy Webster wrote:

> Hi list,
> I'm wondering if anyone has flared the wheel arch on their front
> guards/fenders by bending the inward facing 'flange'(for want of a
> better,..word y'know the bit that rubs if you have wide wheels)outwards. My
> brothers had this done when he got it and it looks quite good. If anyone has
> done this, are there any tricks to doing it or does one just hoe in with the
> vise-grips and panel beating tools?

I have heard of a guy doing it with a baseball bat.  He would roll the
bat between the tire and the fender and slowly bend the flange up
and in.  I think I heard about it on this list.  We will see.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget, just missing a fuel pump

PS.  I never have tried to flare a fender with a bat.  Never saw it
done either.