Re: Sprite Engine Questions.

To: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite Engine Questions.
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:13:37 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
According to my Austin Healey Sprite MKI shop manual, general
information section, the "U" designates "centre gear change gearbox".
which all Sprites have of course.

In more detail:

1st prefix <underline>number</underline>- cubic capcity

9= 950cc

1st prefix <underline>letter</underline>

C=Austin Healey

2nd prefix <underline>letter</underline>

A-Z used for variation engine type

2nd prefix group- gearbox and ancillaries

U=centre gear change gearbox

3rd group- compression and serial number

H= high compression

2640=serial number

Gerard

At 7:13 PM -0500 6/6/99, Bill Miller wrote:

>I'm confused.  Nothing new, like normal.  I have just picked up a
engine.

>It's number is:

>9CG-U-H 2640

>Now comes the confusing part.  My manuals say that the 9CG engines
were

>introduced for the Mark II Sprites only.  It also states that the "U"
was

>only used on the Mark I sprites only.  So is this engine out of a Mark
I or

>a Mark II?  Some other items that would suggest a later MKII is the

>generator does not have the tach connection and it has the "breather"
that

>my earlier MKII does not have.

>What say you, oh wise ones, what do I have in my garage.  (I know it
really

>doesn't matter, but I am curious!)

>Bill Miller

>61 AH Sprite MKII