Gasket material, wicking?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gasket material, wicking?
From: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:04:35 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
     Listers:

     Here's a weird one for ya.  Can some gasket material actually have a
     "wick effect" with the fluid it is trying to keep in, causing a LEAK?

     I replaced both gaskets in the dual bore master cylinder on the '62
     Sprite when I had it sleeved. I have a slight nagging brake fluid leak
     that is evident by the fluid pooling in the peddle plate.  (Small
     pool.  You know how any liquid on a flat surface looks like the dam
     broke)

     It looks to me that the top gasket is "wicking" the brake fluid out
     and down the outside of the body.  I have isolated the leak to this
     area by putting a dark paper towel, secured with a rubber band, around
     the top of the master and no more pooling in the peddle plate.  The
     paper towel is absorbing the LEAK so to speak.

     This top gasket is a gray thicker material as I remember.  Kinda
     spongy.  I've honkered down the top plate screws to their limit, I
     feel, and don;t want to brake or strip anything.  My gut feeling is to
     just change out the gasket with a new one and see if it stops the
     leak.  What do you think?  Is this top gasket thick or thin material?

     TIA,

     Dave
     '62 Sprite MKII
     Dublin, CA

     Thought for the day --

     Don't argue with idiots.  They won't know when you win!
     (changed my life)