paint for valve cover

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: paint for valve cover
From: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 07:54:10 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Much of the paint on my valve cover had come off, and so I finally sanded
it down.  I then decided I liked the bare metal look, and so I painted it
with clear spray lacquer.  This didn't work, and that stuff is flaking off
pretty quickly (I should have expected it; it was made for wood ....).  But
I still like the look, and was wondering if there is some clear paint that
can take the heat.

If I give up on the bare metal look, do I need to use an engine paint, or
will any of the spray paints at the hardware store do the job.

Thanks,

Ric Otte
HAN6 sprite