Re: Just curious... Bugeyes vs Car Alarms

To: conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Just curious... Bugeyes vs Car Alarms
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:15:32 +0100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ed,

I can pretty consistently set off alarms in trucks and SUVs in the parking
garage at work if the vehicle is parked at the end of a row such that I'm
making a hairpin turn and heading uphill to the next level as I pass it.
The first time this happened, I nearly soiled me armor. After it happened a
few more times, I started taking notice of the conditions. One day I was a
little late so had to go all the way up to the 7th floor - set off four
alarms. The bonus here is two-fold: SUVs and other large vehicles aren't
supposed to park in those slots, and, well, they're SUVs with dead
batteries at the end of the day. That's a good start.

I don't know why this happens. I have a snappy little Monza exhaust and
usually am running low revs in the deck. I use resistor plugs, and back
when I had a radio, I had very little ignition noise intereference.
Possibly the reason regular cars aren't affected is that that SUVs are so
high up that there's some weird acoustic effect. Who knows, it's one of
life's mysterious pleasures for me.  I ain't used to much...

Jeff

---
On 6/8/99, conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
>  A while back I recall two or three people made comments about driving
>around in their Bugeyes and setting off car alarms everywhere.
>  Years ago I remember it being said that old Fords with generators
>would cause static on your radio when they drove by.
>  Is this related??
>  Anybody know just what it is about the early Spridgets that caused
>the alarms to go off?  Generator?  Ignition?  Other??  Defective parts or
>just the nature of the design?  Loud exhaust causing enough noise/vibration
>to rattle the alarms' motion sensors?
>  Just seems like there might be a use for this kinda knowledge SOMEwhere...
>  :-) Ed in NC :-)
>  I remember someone on a ham radio list talking about sitting at a
>stoplight next to a GM product.  Everytime he keyed his microphone the
>GM car's engine would stall.  (A little shielding problem around somebody's
>computer! ;-))   Didn't do it to -all- GM cars, just this particular one.
>   e in nc

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis