Re: Roadster - Historical perspective

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster - Historical perspective
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 17:39:49 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, I'll jump into the fray now.  In 1909 (WAY BACK IN TIME) Ford marketed
two models of Model T's, a touring and a roadster.  A Torpedo model was marketed
from 1910 to 1912, and it's top was removable, but it had no doors, basically a
chassis
with fenders and two seats.

None of these cars had roll up windows, but both had an attached top.  So going
by
the oldest source I know, a roadster was a two-seat car that had side curtains.
 I also
believe that this was true on earlier Ford models but don't know that for sure.

FWIW : They also marketed various coupes and sedans but one of the most unusual
was a Couplet which was a foldable hardtop coupe built around the last part of
the
brass cars and very early steel radiator models.  It did have roll up windows
(well pull
up with strap attached to the bottom of a piece of glass, and you secured the
strap
with a belt like device).  A very rare car.

Patton

At 6/8/99 11:05:00 PM, you wrote:
>Roadster: vehicle where the hood (top) can be removed and can be stowed away.
>
>Sell the Miata, it's a convertable, not a roadster!
>
>Cheers,
>Martyn
>

>The Journey, not the destination, becomes a source of wonder.
>         (Loreena McKennitt - liner notes - 'The Book of Secrets')

----
Patton Dickson - Madison, MS - http://members.xoom.com/spridget/
'67 AH Sprite
'65 Corvair 110/4sp Monza Vert