Re: Installing new brushes in a generator?

To: Paul.Bockisch@mail.mei.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing new brushes in a generator?
From: RBHouston@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 13:20:29 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It's been years since I did it, and you probably have several answers already
(I've been o ut of town and just startied in on 250+ messages)..

Take the generator off and loosen the two long bolts running the lenghth of
the generator.  One end of the gererator will have the brushes attached.
They should be about a half inch sqare and 3/16th thick (working from 30 year
memory of the last time I did this.)

Thety will have a couple of braided copper wires attached and be inside a
rectangular sleve, with a spring behind them.  Pull the spring back and they
should slide out.

Take them to an auto parts store and ask for replacements, then when they
don't have any, ask if they will compare them to some and get close.  You can
grind larger ones down to fit.

Assemble in reverse....but take time to clean the commutator (copper end of
the armature) with some very fine emery paper.

Good luck,

Robert Houston