Re: Got the Bonnet Open! - Car won't start!

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Got the Bonnet Open! - Car won't start!
From: "Steven A. McGee" <samesq@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:32:10 -0700
Cc: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Where is Swift Justice when you need it, I mean him?!
> Steve, come help this guy!

Uh....I'm awake now your honor.  The problem sounds suspiciously similiar to my
dead midget.  In my case, the problem on my '79 was a loose/dirty/almost broken
connection in the fusible link from the main power supply wiring (brown wires)
BEFORE it hits the fuse box.  This kills power to all systems - the battery
will/may be fine but the car will be deader than a door nail, no interior
light, door buzzer, car will not crank, etc.  Easy way to test this:

    1.    Try the hazard switch!  It is wired separately from the fuse box and
that main fusible link.  If they work, but nothing else does, it is most likely
that fusible link.

    2.    Try the fusible link.  It is a flat piece of white collored plastic
that will have two brown wires going into it and two brown wires coming out the
other end.  Trace the brown wires to the fuse box to find it, its not too far
away from it (at least on my car) Take off the connector and clean all
contacts, etc.

    3.    If you do take the fuse box off , make sure you install it back
correctly right side up.  It does go in one way, and if you install it upside
down, the car will run, but you will have interesting side effects (ask me how
I know...)

    4.    If even the hazards do not work, then it is most likely a battery /
charging system problem.

I rest my case.  Now back to snooze mode...

Steve.