Re: How to check trans

To: ddwelley@excite.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to check trans
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 06:08:35 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dan:

>I cannot go throught the gear selections with the shifter
>due to a broken shifter yoke.

Run!  Quickly!

I started out to repair the broken yoke retaining pin ($0.15 at True
Value) in my '79, and it turned into one of those "As long as I'm in
here, I might as well ... " things.  Several months later (rebuilt
engine, degreased and painted engine compartment, etc, etc) I put
everything back in.

If everything else was OK up until the time that the yoke broke, you're
probably OK.  I'd reserve judgement until you have the tranny out, and
can inspect it.

I'd suggest that you pull the engine and tranny as a unit.  You can't
repair the shifter yoke with the thing installed, anyway, and it's much
easier to inspect with it sitting on the bench.  When it's out, you can
drain the fluid, pull the top cover, wash it with solvent, and examine
the gears for damage.  The reverse gear takes a beating on these.  If
everything else looks good, repair the yoke, replace the seals, and
consider replacing the gaskets, and slap her back in.

And, as long as you've got her out, you might as well ....

Luck,

Rich
Council Bluffs, Iowa

'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"  (LBC Support Vehicle)
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"

richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com