Fuel Starvation and Bogging down

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Starvation and Bogging down
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:09:14 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Heading to an autox (BRSCCA in Staunton, VA) yesterday, I had to cross a
rather large mountain with a long, steep constant grade (Afton Mountain for
the Virginians on the list).  I was running between 4-4.5K rpms up the
mountain and began experiencing intermittent misses.  Nothing that kept me
from making it up the mountain, but very concerning when running on an
Interstate.  The points are brand new and properly installed.  The plugs are
also recently new (NGK BP6ES) and gapped slightly larger than stock.  The
valves are set to the competition settings.  Any suggestions?

At the autox, the car handled wonderfully.  The one major thing that kept us
from setting much better times was fuel starvation.  Whenever we hit a
really sharp corner (almost every corner) the car would experience fuel
starvation.  I'm running a 1275, but it still has the stock 1098 mechanical
fuel pump.  I haven't checked the float levels recently, but they we set
properly a couple of years ago.  Would going to an electric fuel pump solve
this or would I need to go to a higher pressure pump with a regulator close
to the carbs?  Any suggestions on this one?  If I were to stick in an
electric pump what brackets and changes are suggested for a clean install
since this car has never been setup for it?

Do ya'll think that these two items are related?  TIA

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite