Re: Temporary removal of bonnet release pull

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Temporary removal of bonnet release pull
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 18:33:43 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> Unless you are very small, you might as well just go ahead and pull the
> engine to get to the nut on the other side of the bonnet release knob.
> It is actually easier to pull the engine and trans then to try to get to
> that nut.
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I guess working on a race car in the dark of the pits does pay off. I
have changed two hood release cables now, and have found the best way of
doing this is to jack the whole car as high as you can and lay on your
side. With eyes closed and arm straight up you should be able to reach
the nut on the cable. I used a small set of vice grips to break it free.

The eyes closed bit is something I learned a long time ago, it helps me
imagine what my fingers touch better. Having to pull starters and
clutches in the dark have made me pretty good at working sightless.

Mark Snowdon
I do my best work in the dark....