Smoke - another of life's mysteries!

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smoke - another of life's mysteries!
From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:26:59 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Since we're on the subject (I would have said thread, but somebody hates
that term.) My rebuilt motor has a strange habit.
 I'll start it up the first time in the morning and if I let it sit still
(which is hard to do!) it runs clean for about five minutes, Then it starts
to belch oil smoke for about 2 or 3 minutes. After that it runs clean.  If I
start it, jump in and go tearing off through the mountains, It'll run clean
for about 2 minutes then belch smoke for 30~45 seconds, clean up and be fine
the rest of the trip.
 If, after driving it for a while, I let it sit for about 3 hours, It will
repeat the same process, but to a lesser degree.
I'm suspecting lose valve guides that seal when they heat up. The delay
would be caused by the fact it takes a while to get enough oil on top of the
head to get past the valve guides. Once everything warms up, the guides seal
and the oil drains back down faster.
 And when I say belch, I mean belch. Like a Destroyer laying out the smoke
screen, Birds falling from trees, every bug dead, Tear gas cloud type white
cloud of smoke. And no it's not coolant, checked that. This is oil.