Re: wire wheels

To: "Geoff Branch" <branch@valinet.com>
Subject: Re: wire wheels
From: theskinny@excite.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:55:28 PDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>>...Anyone know why?  I was expecting to change to steel wheels >>at some
point and assumed that I just unbolted the hubs, but >>now it looks like
these were factory original and I'll have to >>replace the axles too!
This looks like a huge expense, to >>say nothing of a lot of nasty work.
Anyone with any >>suggestions???

>>Geoff Branch  '74 Meejut

Wire wheel rear housings and steel wheel rear housings are a different
width.  It is easy to go from steel wheels to wire wheels by buying
adapters, but to go from wire wheels to steel wheels requires replacing the
entire third member.  If your wheel splines are bad, your axle splines are
bad too.  No cheap fix.  4 new wheels, 4 new hubs.

David Riker