PA inspections

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, phax@eng.kns.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: PA inspections
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:08:32 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Finally, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has decided to allow its citizens
to have easy access to the laws of the state!  I have been trying to find PA
vehicle inspection requirements on line, and they just posted the entire PA
CODE on the PA web site.  http://www.pacode.com/index.html

For all you Pennsylvanians who care, so to:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.80.html  for the
vehicle inspection procedures.  This will be helpful as I complete the work
on my Midget.

The complete section on Transportation has many, many links.  Go to:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/067toc.html

The section on inspections includes emissions as well as safety, and for all
vehicles.

Of particular interest was the section on motorcycle exhaust systems:

"(b)  Exhaust system requirements. A motorcycle shall be equipped with a
muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and
in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a
cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of
external repair.

   (1)  The exhaust system of a motorcycle may not be modified in a manner
which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle
above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established
sound levels)."

And I thought that they were encouraged to be so loud that they set of car
alarms!

Have fun.  This site will take a whole day to explore.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport